Chart for using historical documents
Identify the document and put it into context
Type of document
- Date, place where it was created and place where the document was received
- Who was he?
- What do we know about him?
- What was his title, his position?
- Who was the document's target audience? What do we know about him?
- What is the context surrounding this document? Does the context help us to better understand the document? How?
- Type of document
Analysis of the text
- According to the student, why was this document written? What was the author's objective (describe, convince, make official…)?
- Long and short term? On the author, the audience?
- Is it possible to draw parallels with concepts seen in class? Which ones, how?
Contribution and interest
- Is the document still news?