The Deportation of the Acadians
This role play puts you in 18th century Acadie, at the time of the Deportation. You will have to make a series of decisions that will help to demonstrate the anguish and uncertainty associated with the displacement of populations, in this case the Deportation of the Acadians. Through a work of art inspired by the Deportation, you will be able to express what you felt during this role play and what this event means to you.
What does the Deportation of 1755 mean to you? Justify.
Prepare an oral presentation in which you will explain your thoughts on the subject of the Deportation.
- Do the role play.
- Using the Stories section: The Arts, identify a work of art (painting, song, etc.) that expresses what you felt during the role play and what the Grand Dérangement means to you.
- Extend your knowledge of this event by consulting the History section.
- In an oral presentation, explain why you chose the work of art you did.
Here are a few keywords which you will learn during this activity:
- War and peace
Essential and optional resources
- Role play: The Deportation of the Acadians (Flash | HTML)
- Web site: 1755: The History and the Stories
History section; Stories section: The Arts
- Web site: 400 ans de présence française au Canada, 1604-2004
- Web site: Francophonies canadiennes: Identités culturelles