The village formerly known as the "Coude" was emptied of its Acadian inhabitants during the Deportation. Since it was recolonized by German pioneers around 1760, Acadians avoided settling there anew. Even though many Acadians worked in Moncton's industries and businesses, only in the early 1840's did Dieppe resident Sylvain Babineau move there to be closer to his work. Afterwards, the Acadian population rapidly increased and today represents approximately a third of the total population. Thanks to this demographic increase, for many years now Moncton has been an important institutional center for Acadians: the Hôtel-Dieu became the Dr-Georges-L.-Dumont Regional Hospital; the Société Assomption became Assomption Life, the Évangéline newspaper, the creation of Moncton's archdiocese and the construction of the Notre-Dame de l'Assomption cathedral, the Université de Moncton as well as the head offices of the Société Radio-Canada in Atlantic Canada.