Although it was abandoned by Acadians in the middle of the 18th century, Menoudie experienced a rebirth in around 1766 when a group from the Pigiguit region (today Windsor, N.S.) became tenants of Joseph F. W. Des Barres, a big Nova Scotia landowner. This is how Jean Bourque, Pierre Brun, Joseph Comeau, Charles Forest, Joseph Léger, Charles Melanson and their families settled in Menoudie to cultivate the fertile salt marshes of the Bay of Fundy. As early the 19th century, with the exodus caused by a shortage of land and the assimilation of the Acadians to the English language, Acadian family names became more English. That is why today's Acadian descendants have names like Brine (Brun), Gould (Doiron) and White (LeBlanc). However, that village's Acadian heritage is still recognized, and the regional museum mentions the Acadian contribution to the village of Menoudie.
Thematic search