Even though Saint-Georges Bay has been sporadically inhabited since the 18th century, the region's first permanent residents were Acadians from Cape Breton around 1830. The Jesseau, Lejeune and Pierrot families settled there to fish the rich waters off Newfoundland. For the majority of the 20th century, the absence of French schools in the region was responsible for the Acadian and French population gradually becoming more English. However, for forty years now the Francophone culture has been undergoing a revival. In fact, Francophone associations are becoming more organized and have given themselves a main objective, to develop the French language. Education in French was their main concern and in 1993 a French school was opened in Cap Saint-Georges, the École Notre-Dame-du-Cap.